Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy (HBOT) has been gaining a lot of traction recently due to a recent study published in the Journal Aging, which found that HBOT may increase telomere length and decrease immunosenescence (we explain these terms below).
The study included 20 healthy adults who were randomly assigned to receive either HBOT or a placebo treatment. After 12 weeks of treatment, the HBOT group had significantly longer telomeres and lower levels of markers of immunosenescence than the placebo group.
What Are Telomeres & How Do They Relate to Aging?
Telomeres are protective caps on the ends of chromosomes that help to prevent them from fraying and breaking. As we age, our telomeres shorten, which can lead to cell aging and disease. Immunosenescence is a condition in which the immune system becomes less effective with age, making people more susceptible to infection and other health problems.
What Is Immunosenescence?
Immunosenescence is a gradual decline in the function of the immune system that occurs with aging. This can lead to an increased risk of infection, cancer, and other diseases.
There are a number of factors that contribute to immunosenescence, including:
- Decreased production of T cells. T cells are a type of white blood cell that plays a key role in the immune response. As we age, the thymus, which is the organ that produces T cells, shrinks and produces fewer T cells.
- Increased production of senescent cells. Senescent cells are cells that have stopped dividing and have accumulated damage. These cells can release harmful substances that can damage other cells and tissues.
- Increased inflammation. Inflammation is a natural immune response, but it can become chronic with age. Chronic inflammation can damage tissues and organs and increase the risk of disease.
How Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Can Slow The Aging Process
The key findings of this study show that HBOT may:
- Increases telomere length. Telomeres are protective caps on the ends of chromosomes that help to prevent them from fraying and breaking. As we age, our telomeres shorten, which can lead to cell aging and disease. HBOT has been shown to increase telomere length in both animals and humans.
- Decreases immunosenescence. Immunosenescence is a gradual decline in the function of the immune system that occurs with aging. This can lead to an increased risk of infection, cancer, and other diseases. HBOT has been shown to decrease immunosenescence in animals and humans.
- Reduces inflammation. Inflammation is a natural immune response, but it can become chronic with age. Chronic inflammation can damage tissues and organs and increase the risk of disease. HBOT has been shown to reduce inflammation in both animals and humans.
- Improves blood flow. HBOT can help to improve blood flow to the tissues, which can help to improve wound healing, reduce pain, and improve cognitive function.
- Protects against oxidative stress. Oxidative stress is a condition that occurs when there is an imbalance between free radicals and antioxidants in the body. Free radicals are unstable molecules that can damage cells and tissues. Antioxidants help to neutralize free radicals, and HBOT has been shown to increase the levels of antioxidants in the body.
- HBOT may be a potential treatment for age-related diseases. HBOT may help to improve symptoms of age-related diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease, and age-related macular degeneration. However, more research is needed to confirm these findings and to determine the optimal dose and duration of HBOT treatment for these conditions.
Is There Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Near Me?
Next Health offers Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy at our Studio City and West Hollywood locations.
The Next Health Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber is a pressurized compartment that is equipped with comfortable seating and provides 95% pure oxygen for promoted healing, inflammation reduction, & more.
When taking a breath outdoors you are not inhaling 100% oxygen. There is a mixture of particles including heavy metals from pollution. When in the Hyperbaric Chamber, the atmospheric pressure is increased giving you 95% pure oxygen to breathe in. This enables your body to release growth factors that fuel your cells' ability to repair, promote healing, fight infection, reduce inflammation, and more.
When we breathe in normal air, oxygen is transported throughout our bodies via red blood cells. During Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, the higher levels of oxygen are absorbed into all of the body’s fluids, the plasma, the central nervous system fluids, the lymphatic system, and bones. When our cells and systems receive more oxygen, healing processes are supported for optimal cellular repair.
The Next Health Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber is equipped with charging ports and air conditioning. The Chamber’s air is also purified with filters and UV light for best results.
Enjoy HBOT for yourself here
Call or text: (310) 295-2075
Request A Complimentary Consult